Monday, November 29, 2010

Cracker Barrel, I missed your country cookin'.

Well, my first major holiday in Kenya (sans American family) has gone and passed. While it wasn't too bad, minus the amount of delicious food I missed, I have a feeling Christmas may be a bit more difficult. Although, not having to rack up the miles on my precious Pontiac Sunfire driving to a handful of family gatherings was actually quite enjoyable. I spent the weekend with a couple other volunteers and surprisingly, we cooked mostly Kenyan food. Our Thanksgiving dinner was nothing compared to the one cooked at Jill's house which included a freshly killed, stuffed, and cooked turkey and other homemade American side dishes, but it was still delicious. Lee Ann kicked butt two days in a row making chapati, with the help of her devastatingly handsome assistant, Louis.  In addition, she made us fudge two days in a row. Glorious. I pretty much just stood around looking good and waiting for Lee Ann to tell me which vegetable to chop. I was also the self-designated dish washer since I wasn't helping with the cooking.

We stayed at DaMon's place which is located in the Taita Hills in Coast Province. It's absolutely gorgeous there. Everything is green and there are flowing rivers and waterfalls in every direction. I took a handful of photos on a hike we went on one afternoon but due to a problem with the internet connection recently, I won't be able to post them until I am in a bigger town/city with 3G coverage. But just take my word for it, it's awesome.

Speaking of awesome. I've noticed through recent status updates on good ole facebook that I seem to be abusing that word. I think it's time to start looking for another word from the 80's to use as a sentence enhancer. Yes, a sentence-enhancer. Much better than an adjective.

Work wise, I was able to discuss different funding options with my supervisor, finally. She claims we already have proposals written and it's just a matter of some minor editing and then we can send them off. Great. Now I wonder if I'll get said proposals sometime this week... In addition, I'm becoming the annoying mzungu who sends multiple e-mails in a week and also makes at least one to two phone calls a week to the same person/place with hopes of getting a response in a decent amount of time. Just so you know, this isn't working very well but I'm going to continue to be annoying whether they like it or not. Annoying is practically second nature to me so they really have no idea what they're in for.

No comments:

Post a Comment